filigree...
"An intricate, delicate, or fanciful ornamentation."
(The Free Dictionary)

"Whoever loves and understands a garden will find contentment."
          --Chinese Proverb

A Little About Me

  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Jewelry. Make your own badge here.

follow filigreegarden at http://twitter.com

Content Copyright © 2008-2010
The Filigree Garden.
All Rights Reserved.

I welcome links to my site and blog. However, please don't use or copy any of my photos, design or written content without my permission. Thank you!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Modish Monthly Goal Meetup - July

I knew it was coming, that July deadline for the Modish Biz Tips Monthly Goal Meetup, but I was trying to hide in a corner to avoid it. Truth is, June turned out to be very unproductive and more contemplative business-wise than I had anticipated. I have no excuses for why I went into a stall and nosedive. It just happened.

To recap: As part of this Modish community effort to stay motivated in business ventures, I agreed to publicly post a list of goals each month, then follow up with a note on how well I met those goals. I started in April with this list, posted on my blog. May seemed to be more successful as I actually crossed off things that were on my May goals list. Unfortunately, June floated away high into the atmosphere like a lost helium balloon. One minute you're flying higher and higher into the clouds. Then POP! - you're stuck in a tree somewhere along the side of the road, deflated, with nothing but a string holding you on.

Oh well...there's always next month.


What I had hoped to accomplish in June:


1. Continue to think about and just be open to inspiration for my latest shop name idea.

I did think about this and will continue to do so. There is some gelling of purpose happening, but not enough to do a reveal just yet.

2. Work on new banner for my Etsy shop. Coordinate with packing materials for a complete "branded" look.

Uh, nothing done here. Nothing to see, so move along...

3. Reflect on the nature of my business and how much time and effort I want to, realistically, put into it. Do I have the energy and motivation to market it more seriously? What is my relationship with money with respect to creative activities, and how do I need to readjust my thinking to allow my business to grow naturally? Where does my heart really dwell? Where is my business heading?

I have probably spent most of the month dwelling on these questions, so I am crossing off #3 even though I have not reached any important conclusions. Well, maybe that is not entirely true. I did come to the realization that I feel the need to make some sort of unique jewelry component from scratch. I have a few ideas to try but I feel a little willy-nilly about this at the moment, running from concept to concept without settling on anything concrete.

I also have a gnawing sense of needing to give back, to do something that benefits others in need. Perhaps start a local crafting-for-a-cause group, or find an activity that allows me to make a difference with what I create. Maybe this quest needs to be put on top of the list for next month.


4. Continue my quest for the perfect background against which to photograph my jewelry.

Ok, I guess I can cross this off for now since I did pick up some new scrapbooking paper that has photographic promise. I don't think I will ever be completely satisfied with the photos, but I am taking a breather from this for now.

5a. Make more jewelry and get it listed.

Embarrassingly, I did not make anything except some jewelry for a friend's birthday. I'll have to hang my head and slink off in shame on this one; good intentions but no creative umph. My main stumbling block, besides creative inertia, is needing and not finding long blocks of time to sit and play with materials and designs. I seem to need more than an hour here and there to let the creative juices percolate.

5b. I want to focus on using what materials I already have rather than buying anything new. I also want to return to one of my original goals of recycling and repurposing old pieces of jewelry, making them into new creations.

I did give this some thought, and I learned about a new technique that I might use to assemble pieces of recycled vintage glass from a large collection I have into pendants and rings. Still need to think and experiment, however.

6. Start working on my own, stand-alone website.

Nada, zip, zilch, zero. Onto July's list it goes.


So there it is, the good, the bad, and the ugly truth for June. Now on to July... Considering that July and August are going to be interrupted a lot by vacations, summer activities with family and friends, and gardening tasks, I don't have high expectations for business advancement during the next two months. Still, I'll put a few things on the agenda for July.

July Goals:

1. Continue to think about and just be open to inspiration for my latest shop name idea. See if any further inspiration occurs or consider dropping this for now.

2. Start to make jewelry items for my September craft show, stART on the Street, which is a well-attended street fair in Worcester, MA. This may be the only show I do this year, so I'll need to make a big effort to have enough stock for this event. I know the next two months will fly by, so I shouldn't waste any time waiting to make inventory.

3. Test a few of my ideas for making unique jewelry components. Find a use for the recycled, vintage glass I have.

4. Contact a local bead shop about forming a crafters-for-charity group, or look for some other way to use my crafting to make a positive impact.

5. Think about a design for my own website. I know I won't get the site created this month, but I might have some time to play around with background colors and graphics to begin the design process.

I think these are doable. We'll see how it goes. Happy creating and best wishes for a productive July to all the Modish Meetup followers!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Sherisa of L'élephant Rose said...

You, my dear, are beating yourself up FAR TOO MUCH. Sometimes, judging your progress is as simple as how much thinking and mental refining you do. Making product will come later. But work through some of the mental fog first love.

Everything else falls into place after that. When I started last year, I literally spent last March til last October THINKING (and unemployed) but now I am feeling some of that pay off because I took my time and didn't rush it.

Best of luck to your continued progress my sweet! :)

July 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger My said...

I think that you did a great job on your goals for June. Best wishes for July.

July 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger The Filigree Garden said...

Thanks for the support!

"Thinking and mental refining" are my strengths. Doing, not so much. ;-) I need to find a balance between the two.

July 7, 2009 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Cut yourself some slack, Liv!! It's summer time, and you can get a lot of those things done in July. At least you HAVE a plan!! Keep us posted on how things go.

July 8, 2009 at 12:08 AM  
Blogger Chauncey said...

Liv, I am impressed with the fact that you even have a plan to be accountable. Like the others have said... please don't beat yourself up. We are all works in progress. :)

July 8, 2009 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Laura. said...

i think you are doing really well, processing and such. i run into the same trouble, trying to make something happen (i.e. a shop name), and in reality, i just have to let it happen (which is actually kind of hard and annoying, i think). i hope july is good to you! you are doing great!

July 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger The Filigree Garden said...

There is hope! I had a huge "ah-ha" moment today. It was something so obvious that I couldn't (or wouldn't) see it. I can't go into just yet, but it moves me in a direction where it seems all the dots connect. Hooray!

July 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I'd say you did Awesome in June. Thinking through all of the bits and pieces of your art, and marketing and presentation is a BIG piece of the whole process. Good luck for July!

July 10, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home